Most kittens are very easy to litter train and may already have learned by watching their mother by the time you get them home. However, there are a few simple to follow steps which will ensure your new kitten is using their littler tray in no time.
- Show the kitten where the litter tray is by placing them in it and letting them have a sniff and a scratch around.
- Put your kitten in the tray regularly, particularly after meals or when they wake up.
- Make sure the tray is kept clean at all times. Cats are very clean animals and will refuse to use their tray if it is dirty. However, do not use strong chemicals or detergents as these will also deter the cat.
- Put the tray in a quiet spot in the house. Much like humans, cats don't like being watched or disturbed when they're doing their 'business'.
- Never punish your kitten if they have an accident outside the tray. Don't rub their nose in it or smack them. If you catch them in the act, simply say 'NO' in a firm voice and then pop them into the tray and praise them while they're in there. The kitten will soon associate their litter tray with praise and will want to go in there.
Article continues below advert...